Thursday, May 5, 2011

A day in the life of ...and some other ramblings about weight loss surgery

I was reading one of my favorite blogs this morning written by a post weight loss surgery patient. Her name is Shelly and she has tasty modified recipies for those of us who require higher protein/low carb nutrition. Check out her blog here if you are interested: (http://www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/)

A bunch of weight loss patients with blogs are posting a typical day of eating since our stomaches have been modified. I thought it would be fun to join in. A lot of my friends are also curious about my eating habits after weight loss surgery.. so here ya go.

First, here is a quick overview of my weight loss journey.

I had Roux en Y gastric bypass on Aug. 14, 2007. It was my college graduation present! Thanks Dad!

 The best decision we've ever made. On this day I commited to a total lifestyle change. I weighed 340 pounds the morning of surgery and I wore a size 30 in pants and a 3X shirt. I was miserable physically and emotionally. I had always been heavy but after a prolonged period of severe depression in college I really packed on the weight. The breaking point for me was putting on a size 30 pair of jeans and having to suck in to get them on.

See?
This was two months after my bypass and I was down about 40 lbs. Yikes.

Now. After losing the weight and having my thigh lift. It's a crappy phone pic but you get the idea. It's like someone created a "mini me" for me.




Now I weigh in at 150 ish depending on the day...I wear a size 8/10 pants. I have a significant amount of loose skin but my plastic surgeon is amazing and will make me beautiful when I'm ready. Even though I feel gross with the skin, I feel healthy and happy with my weight loss.

 As a result of my surgery I can only eat small amounts of food at a time and I can only tolerate sugar in small amounts after a protein dense meal. Here is the run down..a day in the life of post bariatric surgery eating.

Pre-Breakfast-More coffee than any person should ever consume in one day.

For breakfast, I had Fage 2% greek yogurt - I love it. Sometimes I add fruit and almond slivers to make it even tastier. 1 small container has a whopping 20 grams of protien for only 120 calories!!!



Lunch today was a Sonic Grilled Chicken Sandwich with only half the bun.  I was only able to eat about 3/4 before I was stuffed. I was too late to pack a lunch today...



Snack: Grande Sugar Free Vanilla Latte with Whole Milk. (My transfer addiction from food)



Dinner: Taco Bueno- Tortilla soup with shredded cheese



After coming home from working at the GAP I was starving! I don't always have the extra snack, but if I am legitamately hungry, I eat.

Late night snack- Apple slices and a dollop of peanut butter

Now for a hot bath and some music. Maybe it's a David Gray night.

2 comments:

  1. I like all of this except one line: "My plastic surgeon will make me beautiful..." You already are!!! Your surgeon is just putting the cherry on top! Then again I might be a little biased. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww...thanks! I should have said...he will finish the work so I can FEEL beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete